Click for larger image
(3Mb). Roads dotted where course uncertain.
Maps based on half-inch OS map of Edinburgh
and Lanark, published 1913.
With thanks to Ordnance Survey.
This is an important map as it is one of the very few
in the Blaeu Atlas to show roads. It allows us to follow
the Berwick road, a road to Lauder or perhaps Kelso,
and another that may be heading to Innerleithen and
so Peebles. There is a road shown running close to the
present A701 and another running through West Linton,
presumably to Biggar. Another road on the north side
of the Pentlands is very suggestive of a route to Carnwath
and so Lanark.
There are three routes running to the west. One is
shown west of Harthill and may have continued to Glasgow
and perhaps Hamilton. Another runs beyond Armadale and
another leads to Avonbridge and presumably Falkirk.
There is also a road running through Linlithgow, one
to Leith and another to Queensferry.
Fortunately, this sheet was first printed, not by Blaeu
in 1654, but by Hondius
in 1630 and he is thought to have engraved it before
1612, which means that the roads existed at that time.
Edinburgh - Berwick
Click maps for larger images
Edinburgh - Musselburgh
The route is shown skirting the north of Holyroodhouse
and making for the Magdalene Bridge which was situated
about 1Ĺ miles west of Musselburgh. The map is indeterminate
enough to make the precise route uncertain although it
would certainly have been close to present day routes.
Musselburgh to Haddington
From Musselburgh it is shown running past Grange, Preston
and S Germains somewhat inland from the coast. This
suggests it was close to the line of road on the Military
Survey that ran to St Germains, basically the A198.
It then passed Whiteridge, Erristoun, Nepridge, Letons
and Gladsmoor Loch. Here the road is shown as branching
for perhaps a mile before rejoining near Lethan. The
best fit for the section beyond St Germains would appear
to be past Chesterhall and Hoprig to run between Elvingston
and Gladsmuir towards Lethan House, prior to which it
would have branched and rejoined at this point. This
section, as far as Elvingston/Gladsmuir, is different
from Adairís map of the 1680ís and the Military Survey,
Haddington to Lintyn Brigghs (East Linton)
The road seems to have run on the old A1 line just north
of Haddington with a branch from near Letham House and
Harperden into the town. The bridge is shown but with
no road on the other side of the river. The A1 line
is confirmed by Pencraigh Hill and the range of high
ground shown north of the road.
Lintyn Brigghs (East Linton ) to Dunbar
The river and the place name Kirktonhill and Hedderwick
confirm the route was that of the A1 prior to the recent
improvements. At Beltonford it ran through West Barns
to Dunbar on the A1087 line.
Dunbar to Dunglass Burn
Oddly enough, the Blaeu Lothian sheet does not show
the road continuing beyond Dunbar. However, the Merce
sheet shows a couple of miles of road north of Dunglass
so it is safe to assume this was an omission. The line
taken on this stretch is probably that of the A1, and
as shown on the Military Survey.
For further information on this road see Angus Graham,
on a Great Post Road, PSAS, Vol. 96 (1962-63), pps 318-47.
For continuation see Berwickshire.
Edinburgh - Dalkeith - Lauder
Although the road is shown running to just south of
Soutra it is reasonable to assume that it ran at least
as far as Lauder. Carfrae (NT501551) and Farrylees (NT498568)
are both shown, with the road running to the west of
Headshaw Burn, which suggests it had the same course
as the road shown on the Military Survey running from
Soutra to Oxton and then Lauder.
The first part of the route is to Dalkeith, passing
Kameron (presumably near Cameron Toll) and Craigmillar
on the way. This suggests it was on the line of the
A68. Beyond Dalkeith, the fit with place names is not
immediately obvious but the straightness of the road
and the fact that it crossed the Tyne Water near Pathhead
suggest that it went on the minor road by Whitehill
and Edgehead to Pathead to take up the A68 line beyond
It may have ran a little to the west of Fala as Fala
Hall and Fala Kirk are shown as off the line of the
road. However, it ran past Soutra which allows us to
identify it with the road shown on the Military Survey
as running down to Lauder although there is a possibility
that it ran to Kelso, leaving the putative Lauder road
at Oxton and running through Legerwood and Smailholm
Edinburgh - Dalhousie towards Ladieshaw
names and rivers suggest this road left the above road
near Newington about one mile south of the High Street.
It followed the line of present roads as far as Arniston
Engine, Gorebridge and Temple. It is clearly shown running
past Howburn and then heading into the Moorfoot Hills
towards a place called Ladieshaw which may be the present
Ladyside (NT363503). Assuming it continued south of
here (it is shown doing so) it would reach Innerleithen
in about 6 miles.
Edinburgh - Penicuik - Whitfield
The first part of this road is shared with the Biggar
Road to a point two miles north of Penicuik. The route
followed is the A702.
Easter Howgate it appears to have run to Auchendinny
Mains and then to Fallhills less than a mile east of
Howgate. Beyond this point there are so few clues on
the Blaeu map that it difficult to say exactly where
If we take Mosshouses and Kingside (presumably Kingís
Seat) as correct, the road would have run between them
and then about one mile east of the A701 perhaps to
Kelly Heads (NT190490) or even to Whiteside (NT165465).
The Tweedale map is of little help as the geography
is so distorted. This route does not appear on any other
early map including the Military Survey, although there
is a logic to it as it would have run on top of a ridge
for several miles (see NLS
for early maps).
One other possibility is that the Whytfield of the
map is in fact Whitfield (NT169530) which would fit
well with Adair's map of Mid Lothian although this would
be an awkward route and would lose the connection with
The final possibility is that the road is the line
of the A701 which would suggest a main route to Moffat
and the south-west of Scotland, rather than appearing
to terminate at a remote hill farm. Without other evidence
it is hard to say which of these is correct.
Edinburgh - Penicuik - West Linton - Biggar
follows the A702 out of Edinburgh past Penicuik and
in fact appears to be a close fit as far as Walston.
Beyond this point the geography is rather confused but
there is every likelihood going by later maps and one
or two place names like Stonypath that it kept the A702
line to Carlops and then followed the old Roman road
past Stonypath and West Linton. If it did continue to
Biggar (there is plenty of evidence that there was a
mediaeval route to Biggar) it would probably have had
the same line as the Military Survey route that ran
on the south-east slopes of Mendick Hill and rejoined
the A702 line just north of Dolphinton.
Edinburgh - Dalmahoy - Carnwath
leaves Edinburgh at Merchiston and seems to have a line
about one mile north of the A70 past Currie. It is aligned
on some stretches with roads shown on the Military Survey,
especially nearer Edinburgh.
The place names suggest that it veered towards the
A70 near to Causewayend where it took up this line again,
passing Crosswoodhill near the county boundary and running
another five miles to the edge of the map (note Fala).
This would take it to less than three miles from Carnwath.
Map shows routes of the following
Edinburgh - Livingston - Blackburn - Paxton etc
There is every likelihood that this ran on the A8 line
to Corstorphine and then on the A89 line out to Newbridge.
It is then shown south of Muirend heading for Livingstone
- the Military Survey shows a road on this line.
From Livingstone it took the line of the A705, also
shown on the Military Survey, through Blackburn and
is shown leaving the map just over the Lanarkshire border.
It probably ran on to Glasgow through Kirk of Shotts,
Newhouse and Bellshill.
Edinburgh - Bathgate - Armadale
This left the above road at Newbridge and headed towards
Uphall, with a branch going south of the village and
another appearing to run through the village.
Somewhere before Drumcross (NT004700), the road forked
with the northerly branch running to Avonbridge and
presumably Falkirk. The other branch took a line towards
Armadale; Bathgate is not shown but Easton (NS962695)
is on the line of the road.
It ran beyond Armadale (see Barbauchlaw), perhaps as
far as Bedlormie as shown on Adairís map of 1684. Although
Adair does not show it going beyond this point he does
mark the road as the Middle Way to Glasgow. The Military
Survey and Taylor and Skinner (1776) show it continuing
north of Hillend Reservoir and running down through
Airdrie and Coatbridge to Glasgow.
The road is represented today by a line of farm tracks
west of Armadale.
Edinburgh - Avonbridge
This leaves the above road near Drumcross and runs over
towards Couston. From here the best fit appears to be
a crossing at Bridgehouse and then running over to Avonbridge.
Dalwharn is shown on the Military Survey as perhaps
300 metres west of Avonbridge with the road appearing
to run through it and beyond to the river but a crossing
at Avonbridge is more likely than a point west of this.
The crossing would give ready access to Falkirk, seven
miles north of here.
Edinburgh - Linlithgow
This left the Livingston - Blackburn road near Corstorphine
and appears to have had the line of the A9 (see Briggs,
Winchburgh, Waterston, Kingsfield) to Linlithgow.
It continued over the River Avon at Linlithgow Bridge,
leaving the sheet a couple of miles further on. See
for possible continuation to Kilsyth.
Edinburgh - Leith
the three possible routes that seem to have existed
at this time: Bonnington Road, Leith Walk and Easter
& New Edinburgh, James Grant), the best fit
is with the Leith Walk route.
Edinburgh - Queensferry
is a good fit with Adairís Mid
Lothian map of 1682 (see Dean, Dryly, Burntoun,
Over Cramond and loch) which suggests that the road
left Edinburgh by Dean Bridge and had the line of the
A90 to Cramond Bridge. Adairís West
Lothian map of 1684 continues the road and again
it is a good fit with the A90 and B924. The only drawback
is Blaeu (and Hondius) having the road run through Byres
which Adair shows near the coast but Adairís positioning
of Cockleburn in relation to Byres suggests that Blaeu
and Hondius placed Byres too far to the west.
Bridge (image) was in ruins in 1607 and this had
led to people taking a route along the shore from Nether
Cramond (Cramond) past Barnbougle to Queensferry. Although
the bridge was repaired they kept using this route to
the annoyance of the Earl of Haddington who obtained
an act in 1662 requiring them to use Cramond Bridge
and not the coast route. The road shown on Blaeu goes
by Cramond Bridge. See The
Antient and modern state of the parish of Cramond,
John Philip Wood, 1794 on the Googlebooks site for more