Newbattle Register, Charter 308, Page 281. Date 1500
|Route between Linlithgow and
West Binning in 1500. Based on quarter inch OS map,
sheet 27, 1913
This charter dates from 1500 and says:
....our lands of Westbinning called Abbotsland, with
pertinents, lying in the village and lands of Westbynning
in the sherrifdom of Linlithgow between the ecclesiastical
lands of Binning and the croft occupied by William Penny
on the west side and the common highway which goes to
the burgh of Linlithgow on the eastern side with the
common green on the south side and the land called the
Howland on the north.....
....terras nostras de Westbinnig vocatur
le Abbotisland cum pertinens suis jacens in villa
et territorio de Westbynnig et infra vicecomitatum de
Linlithqw inter terras ecclesiasticas de Binnig et crofta
quam occupat Willhelmus Penny ex parte occidente et
comunem viam qua itur ad burgu de Linlithqw ex parte
orientali et comunem le grein ex parte australi et terram
vocatam le Howland ex boreali partibus.....
West Binning, now West Binny, lies about 3 miles
south-east of Linlithgow and 1 mile north-west of Uphall.
From the description and topography one would think
the road would have taken a straight line to Linlithgow.
It may have continued to Uphall where in fact it would
have joined the route to the Monklands that had its
origins with Newbattle abbey. Linlithgow was on the
main road between Edinburgh and Stirling.
Books of Assumption of Thirds of Benefices (Newbattle
Register, Page 329)
is listed as a property of Newbattle at the time of
the Reformation. The name means head of the bridge indicating
that there had been a bridge here at one time. Kinpont
is located one mile east of Broxburn.
The following extract is from "Strathbrock;
or, The history and antiquities of the Parish of Uphall",
Rev. J Primrose, 1898 - page 112
KILPUNT. As we pass now from Old East Mains, the
farm to the south-east, albeit within the parish of
Kirkliston, is that of Kilpunt, tenanted by Mr. Thomas
Walker. Although the present farmhouse has somewhat
of a venerable appearance, it must be remembered that
the original Kilpunt stood to the north-west, in the
croft now called Kilpunt Garden, and near the Broxburn,
which is here fringed by aged trees. The two trees also
that flourished till recently in the open field, to
the east of this ancient site, were said to be all that
remained of the avenue that approached the mansion of
Kilpunt from the east, while the wall of stone and lime
that formerly bounded the policies is still distinctly
visible, although here and there somewhat dilapidated.
This old Kilpunt is undoubtedly a house with a history.
Its name is variously spelt in the ancient records Kenpunt,
Kentpunt, Kinpont, Kynpont, and Kynpunt, and were we
to conjecture its etymology, it seems to be the Gaelic
for " bridgehead ", and this again suggests
that away back in the past, perhaps in the days of the
Roman occupation, there was a bridge erected here over