Home >Roads in the 1600's > Upper and Lower Clydesdale > Other Routes

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Roads in the 1600's: The Maps of Timothy Pont

UPPER AND LOWER CLYDESDALE
OTHER ROUTES

This section deals with those crossings and placenames that do not seem to be associated with any of the long distance routes implied by the lists of distances for the upper and lower Clydesdale sheets. There are some, however, that may be associated with other long distance routes and this is indicated in the text.

Again, for convenience the Uppper and Lower Clydesdale sheets are treated together.

 

West of River Clyde
River Crossings


River Calder

2. Kaldar - second crossing on River Calder near Kaldar.

Identification

Given its position downstream from the confluence of the Calder with the burn running from Nerston it is likely to be on the minor road from Flemington through Barnhill to Blantyre (present High Blantyre). This road with a bridge is shown on Roy. The present day bridge is of fairly recent date but the river (see photo) could be forded hereabouts although there would be steep slopes to negotiate on either side of the river.NS 677 574.
Associated route
From the route shown on Roy the most likely explanation is that this developed as a slightly quicker route to Glasgow by heading directly for Flemington rather than joining the Hamilton - Glasgow route near Priory Bridge.

3. Calderwood Castle - third crossing over River Calder near Calderwood Castle. It is just above the confluence of the burn mentioned in 2 above.

Identification

While it may have been connected with the castle (near Craigneath Castle) it is more likely to have been at Crossbasket where Roy shows a route. The eastern approach to a ford would have been steep but it is more level on the other side of the river. NS 667 565.
Associated route
In Roy’s day this was the only crossing between the (East) Kilbride area and Blantyre with routes beyond these places to Eaglesham and Ayrshire and to Bothwell Bridge and the east.
Pont does show Bothwell Bridge but in the absence of confirmatory evidence we cannot assume that any long distance route existed in his time so it is safer to assume the more local route.

4. Newhous - fourth crossing over River Calder at Newhouse
Identification
Given its proximity to Torrance and being downstream from the Rotten Burn this was probably near present Newhousemill although his Newhous is not shown as a mill. NS 655 534.
Associated route
No road is shown on Roy so it may just have allowed nearby farms to access the (East) Kilbride area and beyond.

River Avon

6. Glassford - second crossing on River Avon
Possible fording point over Avon near GlassfordIdentification

Bridgeholm on A712, 2 miles east of Strathaven. NS 733 455.

Associated route
This is a puzzling crossing. Roy shows a route from Lesmahagow to the crossing and, north of that, a road running past Glassford Kirk which runs only for another two or three miles to terminate at Thinacres. There is no Strathaven - Stonehouse link nor with Hamilton to the north - in any case there is a more direct Hamilton - Lesmahagow link through Larkhall. It is hard to account for the Lesmahagow link unless it goes back to the Priory in the middle ages. The only other reasonable explanation would be access to a mill or to Glassford Kirk.

 




Possible fording point over Avon near Glassford

7. Barncluith Burn running into River Avon near to Old Avon Bridge.
Identification

Near Barncluith, south of town centre. NS 729 547.
Associated route
It is shown on Pont’s original map as a ford, i.e. the road line goes through the river. The 1850’s 6" OS map shows a ford here.
It is unlikely that this crossing being so near to the Old Avon Bridge was of more than local use, perhaps to give access to Barncluith.


West of River Clyde
Placenames

12. Spittel, near Blackwood
Identification

Spittal, two miles north-west of Blackwood. NS 773 448. It is not known if it ever catered for travellers.
Associated route
It is 200 or so metres from a road Roy shows running from Lesmahagow to Stonehouse and about 500 metres north of the Roman road but any link with these roads would be tenuous without additional evidence.

14. Foulford
Identification

Near Auchlochan, between Lesmahagow and Coalburn. NS 8137.
Associated route
Given the absence of any roads passing through here on Roy’s maps, this ford may just have been of local use.

15. N & O Stockbrigges
Identification

Stockbriggs and Over Stockbriggs, 2 miles north west of Coalburn. NS 7936.
Associated route
If referring to a bridge or causeway it was likely of local use only. Roy shows no routes in the area.

16. Glassfurd (see crossing above)
Identification

Glassford, near Strathaven.
Associated route
It is not clear if the name refers to a local ford near the village or down at the Avon. As said there, any route would probably be local.



Lower Clyde Map
East of River Clyde

River Crossings

River Kelvin

2. Boigton (shown also on Dunbarton map)
Identification

South-west of Torrance.
This is not the "Roman" bridge as proved by the stream running from Milngavie to the Kelvin and the position of Kessington (NS 5671). The next stream to the east has a Fluchter nearby which suggests this crossing was just south-west of Torrance (NS 6173). Pont shows a Badhindrocht (drochaid, a bridge) nearby. There is a slight possibility that the crossing was the stepping stones shown on the 1925 1" OS map between Cadder and Balmore but against this is the fact that no such route is shown on Roy. There is also the possibility that the crossing was at the present day location which is shown on Roy.
Associated route
This is uncertain although a route north through present day Torrance to the Campsies and one coming from Kirkintilloch are suggestive.


10. North Calder Water (shown as river opposite Flemington), near Garturk

Identification

Over North Calder, just west of A725 Bellshill to Coatbridge Road. NS 7262.
Associated route
This crossing is depicted as just west of the Shirrel Burn. If it was very close to this it would fit Roy’s crossing and road which led to the Monklands but it may have been further west with no clear reason for its presence except perhaps a kirk that lay on the north side of the river but that is unlikely as it was in a different parish. Given the east-west trend of the river here the crossing must have been on a north-south line.

11. Shirrel Burn, tributary of North Calder near Garturk

Identification

Crossing near to present day Shirrel Farm. NS 7461. It is quite close to the above crossing.
Associated route
It may just have been of local use as the Shirrel is not a particularly significant burn.

12. Same river, near Gimmerstone
Identification

North Calder, near Gartness, south-east of Airdrie and east of A73. NS 780 644 approx..
Associated route
Roy does not show a north south route here so it is unlikely to have been on what is now the A73 route. It is however less than two miles to Airdrie and may have been a convenient route for places south of the river to reach the town.

South Calder Water
Shown as tributary of Clyde, near to Bothwell.

14. At Parkhead
Identification

Over South Calder near Jerviston and north of Forgewood - one and a half miles north of Motherwell. NS 750 587 approx.
Associated route
There is no nearby road shown on Roy’s map. The omission of the bridge at Bothwellhaugh (given its supposed Roman age) suggests that this bridge was not linked with it as the Bothwellhaugh bridge would have given easy access to the Motherwell area from Bothwell Bridge. This leaves just the possibility of it being local or on a route from the Motherwell area to the north although this is unlikely when nothing is shown on Roy.

15. At Thostoun
Identification

Over South Calder near to Cleland House. NS 785 575 approx.
Associated route
Despite its approximate location this is at least a mile from the nearest of Roy’s roads with no particularly obvious function, except local movement.

16. Burnhead, near Bonkle
Identification

On South Calder, just west of Bonkle. NS 830 568 approx.
Associated route
Like the crossing below there are no links with any of Roy’s routes. It may just have been for local use.

17. Tributary of South Calder at Bridgend

Identification

Auchter Water at Bonkle, close to above. NS 834 566.
Associated route
The implied route would be south of the South Calder Water which would lead to the Wishaw area and also to the crossing above. However, on Roy’s map the road from the east (a road leaves the Edinburgh - Glasgow road at Kirk O’Shotts and runs to Allanton and then Bonkle) terminates at Bonkle nor is there a road associated with the previous crossing which indicates any movement to the Wishaw area may just have been local.

19. Mouse Water just north of Lanark, near Dyck

Identification

Cleghorn Bridge over Mouse Water, east of Cleghorn. It had been thought to be Roman as a Roman road passes through here although it is more likely that it crossed at a nearby ford. Nevertheless there was a bridge here at least in late mediaeval times (it is mentioned in 1512-13) and certainly in Pont’s day. NS 9047 4526. See NMRS NS94 NW3 and T Reid‘s study (Fords, Ferries, Floats, and Bridges near Lanark).
Associated route
Pont shows a mill here but it would also have led to what was a main road in Roy’s day (partially following the course of the Roman road) up towards Carluke. Having said that there was a shorter route from Lanark to Carluke, as well as one to the east via Carstairs.

East of River Clyde
Placenames

20. Strongait, near Kirkintilloch
Identification

Not identified, although Blacklands (shown south-west of Strongait) is at NS 671 707.

Leadmanfoord, near Moffat Water (tributary of North Calder) in east of map
Identification

Ford Bridge, 3 ½ miles east of Airdrie on A89 and 1 mile west of Caldercruix. NS 802 672. This is confirmed by Roy who shows Leadmanford. The 1:25000 map shows Ford Bridge and Stepends Farm. In Pont’s day it was presumably a ford.
Associated route
On Roy’s map, at Caldercruix one mile east of the ford, he shows his road (from Airdrie) dividing with one branch heading to Avonbridge and Linlithgow and the other heading for Armadale and the east. This latter road could well be the road shown on Pont’s Lothian and Linlithgow map that runs from Edinburgh through Bathgate to beyond Barbauchlaw (near Armadale). It may in fact be the line of the road the monks of Newbattle are said to have built in the early middle ages between Newbattle Abbey (near Dalkeith) over to their lands in the Monklands (Airdrie/Coatbridge area)
Regarding the other road, there is a mention dating from 1723 in McFarlane’s Geographical Collections (Vol 1, p.318) of the Muir Road from Linlithgow bridge to Glasgow which is likely to have passed over this ford.
Given Pont’s inclusion of Linlithgow bridge and Avonbridge as well as the road heading past Armadale (strictly speaking, it is shown on Blaeu and not the Pont original so may date from the mid 1600’s), it is reasonable enough to assume these routes existed at that time.

21. Spittel Scheen near to Mouse Water
Identification

Not identified. Perhaps near Kilncadzow NS 8848.

22. Hil, above Mouse Water in south-east of map.
Identification

Hole, one mile east of Kilncadzow, near A721, NS 898 481.
Although noted on Blaeu and the original manuscript map as Hil, it is shown as Hole on Roy and later maps. The likelihood is that is from Heol, early Welsh for a road, as it lies on the Roman road.
Associated route
The Roman road north of Castledykes heading towards Carluke.

23. Bridgend (see 15 above)
Identification

Auchter water at Bonkle. NS 8356.

GLOTTIANA Praefectura Superior
The Upper Warde of Clyds-Dail

River Crossings
None depicted

Placenames

1. Carnwath
Identification

Old ford over Carnwath Burn, just west of village. NS 975 466
Wath is an Anglo-Saxon word meaning ford and it is thought (see for example NSA - go to non-subscriber, browse scanned pages) that the ford was just west of Carnwath over the Carnwath Burn. The presence of the motte so near to this ford may indicate it was partly sited there to control movement using the ford.
Associated route
By Roy’s day Carnwath was on a number of main routes leading to Edinburgh, Peebles, Biggar, Lanark and Carluke. While not definite it would seem reasonable to assume the ford was used in Pont’s day by the Edinburgh road (shown on the Lothians sheet as running on the north side of the Pentlands) and by routes going to Carstairs and Lanark.

2. Spittel, at bend of Clyde near Carnwath
Identification

Spittal, one mile south of Carnwath. NS 988 450.
Associated route
Without confirming its origins it is hard to say if this was used by travellers although it may be significant that it was on the course of the Roman road (see RCAHMS, Inventory of Ancient Monuments in Lanarkshire, 1978, page 137, no. 262)

3. Stoneypeth, near Dunsyre.
Identification

Stonypath, 1 mile west of Dunsyre. NT 0548. This also appears on the Lothians sheet where it is placed above the road depicted on that map which runs from Edinburgh to (presumably) Carnwath. Roy shows the same route quite clearly but again the present Stonypath is about one km north of the road.
The name itself is very old appearing as Staneypethe in the Register of the Great Seal of Scotland in 1411.
Associated route
On balance it probably relates to the Edinburgh road (even an earlier course of this) rather than a north-south route as shown on recent maps as this track only appears from 1868 (see 6"map search for Dunsyre) onwards.

11. Coulnauch, near Hyndford

Identification This would have been another ferry in this area. It is now called Cobblehaugh and must have been sited near the farm. NS 9242. Cobble is an old word for boat and the Coul in Pont's original map has the same meaning (the Scottish National Dictionary has an entry for coul fat meaning tub or similar vessel). See T Reid (p.218/9)

Associated route Probably Pettinain to Lanark rather than Biggar to Lanark.

 

12. Tillyfurd, near Lanark

Identification This is on the Pont original but not on Blaeu. It is sited at NS 892 405. It was an important crossing used to bring coal and peat from the Douglas area into Lanark. See T Reid, (p.221).

Associated route Lanark to Douglas and area.

13. Outhclyd, near Biggar

Identification Wolfclyde, one and a half miles south west of Biggar on A72. NT 020 362. Reid (p.215) suggests this derives from Wathclyde where wath has the meaning of ford.

Associated route Although Reid says that it allowed access to Carmichael, Symington and the Douglas district this was probably at quite a late date as no road is shown on Roy. Nevertheless, the antiquity of the name suggests it was used at sometime perhaps to give local access to Biggar in the middle ages.

sTh

back to previous

Top

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

theoscommercestore.com