Map based on quarter-inch OS map, published 1935.
With thanks to Ordnance Survey.
A number of texts written by or derived from Pont gives
distances between towns. It is very likely that these
relate to routes because the distances must have been
measured and there would be little point in knowing
the mileage unless people were travelling between these
places. In some cases he refers directly to "the
way to" or gives a list of intermediate places
as if they were on a route. He also shows river crossings
that must have been used for journeys. There is in any
case evidence from other sources that there were routes
at this time. The texts can be viewed on the NLS Pont
Website and are also in MacFarlane's Geographical
So far as this map goes, the following entry indicates
a route through this area:
- Annand Toun and Hermitage Castle
in Liddisdail 24 m.
Two other entries may also indicate routes to Hawick
- Annand and Haik in Teviot dail 28
- Annand and Jedburg 36.
It is unclear however if the Hawick route went through
Langholm or up Liddesdale past Hermitage. The distance
given between Hawick and Jedburgh is 8 miles (28 + 8
= 36 miles) which suggest the Annan to Jedburgh route
went through Hawick although a more direct Jedburgh
route by Note O'The Gate was available at this time.
Given the lack of detail on the Blaeu map the best fit
seems to be near Bellsburnfoot NY61 95
This would place it near a road shown on Thomson
(1820) that ran down the River North Tyne past Keilder
Close to Leahaugh, 2 miles S of Hermitage on B6399
route, NY 509 926.
It is shown on the 1st edition 1"
map (sheet 11, Langholm) on a track leading off
the road between Dinlabyre and Newlands and on Stobie’s
map of Roxburghshire (1770) and Ainslie
(1821) as Backgate though not on any road. Thomson
(1820) and Tennant
(1840) show it as Byegate. The Military
Survey show it as Baggott but it is tempting to
see this as a rendering of local pronunciation.
in centre right of map
Bridgehouse, 4 miles NNW of Newcastleton off the B6357
Jedburgh road, NY 527 926
It is shown on the 1st edition of the 1" map (sheet
11, Langholm) as beside a stream. It could be associated
with the Dinlaybyre to Bygate track shown on the same
map or even with an early route to Jedburgh which undoubtedly
followed the valley of the Liddel but neither association
is certain. With regard to the latter point Inglis's
remarks quoted in W E Wilson's paper on The Note of
the Gate (Hawick Archaeological Society, 1936) are interesting.
He suggests that the Wheel Causeway was an early mediaeval
route between Jedburgh (ultimately Roxburgh) and Liddesdale
but went out of use in the late 1500's when another
route by Singdean began to be used - this was known
as the Note O'the Gate running from Jedburgh down to
Castleton and beyond. In another paper, Inglis (Ancient
Border Highways: The Minchmoor (Catrail) Road, the Wheel
Causeway, the Annandale Forest Road, the Well Path,
and the Enterkin, Harry R G Inglis, PSAS, Vol. 58 (1923-24),
pps 203-23) suggests that the Wheel Causeway ran
from Wheel directly over to the Liddel valley along
what the OS had mistakenly marked as a catrail - see
6 " map sheet
It is not clear if the later Note of the Gate road was
identical with the earlier Wheel Causeway in Liddelsdale
but it does raise the possibility that Brighous could
relate to one or other of them.
Cleuch-head, near to Brighous above, NY 933 525
The name is secondary to Brighous above.
South of Gorrenberry, 2 miles W of Hermitage Castle,
NY 47 96. This is included as the form of the name is
suggestive. It does not appear on any other early map.
Uncertain although its proximity to Hermitage Castle
and a later road leading west is suggestive.
Near to Riccarton, on B6357 Newcastleton to Jedburgh
route, 7 miles NW Newcastleton, NY 95 56 approx.
Unknown. It may have been a crossing over the Kiln Burn
though whether local or more long distance is unknown.
on River Liddel
On Liddel, 2 ½ miles SSW of Kershopefoot. Not shown
on any other early map. The only fords over the Liddel
between Kershopefoot and Penton shown on the
early 6 inch maps (sheet XLVIII) are Francis Ford
at NY 450 795 and Huddshole Ford at NY 444 786. Francis
Ford would be a better fit because the Blaeu map shows
Ruterford opposite Muir Burn (not Tinnis Burn as on
J S M Macdonald (The Placenames of Roxburghshire, Hawick
Archaeological Society 1991) in dealing with another
Rutherford in Teviotdale suggests hryther or cattle
as a derivation. As a ford for cattle it is likely to
have just been for local use.